Online First Aid Course
Our CPR/AED courses include Adult, Child and Infant techniques. Additionally, our CPR certification course includes training on the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED). The CPR/AED certification is valid for 2 years.
Chapter 14: Safety Precautions
It is important to always check the scene and ensure your safety first. Remember that dialing 9-1-1 is one of the most important steps you can take to save another’s life.
- 1. Your safety is first, so leave the scene if you are at risk.
- 2. While helping the victim, protect yourself from transmission of possible diseases. **This is extremely relevant now with the current Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) that is actively impacting many people.
- Use preventive breathing barriers / personal protective equipment (PPE) when available. Cloth masks should be used for protection during COVID-19 when other PPE is not available or there is a shortage in your area. [View Tip]×
- Try to cover your own cuts, sores, wounds, and any skin conditions with a bandage before responding.
- Use preventive breathing barriers / personal protective equipment (PPE) when available. Cloth masks should be used for protection during COVID-19 when other PPE is not available or there is a shortage in your area. [View Tip]
- 3. Use disposable gloves to avoid direct contact with blood / bodily fluids. [View Tip for Glove Removal]×
- 4. Washing your hands properly is extremely important. Always use soap and water after removing your gloves.[View Tip]×
- 5. If you suspect that a victim has suffered a spinal or neck injury, do not move or shake the victim.
Other General Safety Measures:
- 1. Post important emergency numbers near your phone i.e., local emergency contact, poison control center, your physician, and etc.
- 2. Adopt all safety measures when driving or riding a motor vehicle.
- 3. Install and/or check smoke alarm in your home. Be sure to check and change batteries periodically.
- 4. Keep flashlights and fire extinguishers where they are easily accessible, and out of the reach of children.
- 5. Keep all chemical, medicines, hazardous, poisonous, and flammable material in a secured place and away from a child’s reach.
- 6. Practice safe firearms storage, handling, and education.