Our CPR/AED and First Aid combo course includes Adult, Child and Infant CPR and First Aid training. Our Healthcare Provider courses cater to all healthcare professionals. The combo certification is valid for 2 years and includes a free mailed in wallet card.
Chapter 12: Choking: Infant
If you think that there is a conscious choking infant who cannot cough, cry or breathe, you will need to give 5 back blows and 5 chest thrusts. Follow these steps:
- 1. Position the infant face-up on your forearm with his or her head lower than your chest. Support the head and neck by holding it firmly in the palm of your hand.
- 2. Then turn the infant face-down while supporting your forearm on your thigh.
- 3. With the heel of your hand give 5 back blows between the infant’s shoulder blades.
- 4. If the object is not ejected with back blows, turn the infant face-up and give 5 chest thrusts.
- 5. To give chest thrusts, push down with two to three fingers at the center of the chest as you do for infant CPR.
- 6. Continue to give back blows and chest thrusts until the object is forced out, the infant begins to respond, or the infant becomes unconscious.
- 7. If an infant becomes unconscious, follow the steps to perform infant CPR.